2017 April 1k Contest
A tiny code game/visualization competition!
Welcome to the KTBYTE 1k Contest for U.S. Middle + High School Students! This regularly occuring contest aims to support pre-college computer science education. Furthermore, this competition aims to promote creativity and design.
1k competitions use Processing.js and Processing 3.1 Java. Your application must work in both, and the application must max 1kb of code. Click on the pictures above to see past entrants.
We have 3 prizes
- $30 – Best Project under 1k
- $15 – 2nd Best Game under 1k
- $15 – 2nd Best Non-Game under 1k
- Contestants can work individually or in teams of two. If a team wins a prize, we will send payment to the name listed first in the submission. The team can then split the winnings however they want.
- All Entrants must currently be enrolled in middle or high school to enter.
- Deadline is 11:59:59PM on April 30th, server timestamp (Eastern Time). It is recommended to upload it well before the deadline.
- All code must be submitted as one processing.js project at or under 1kB of UTF-8 text (or 1024 ASCII characters). This includes whitespace. Use any character counter such as http://bytesizematters.com/
- Canvas size should be under 1000 pixels wide and 1000 pixels tall. We recommend under 800×800 for best viewing on phones.
- All program code must execute both in Processing.js (latest chrome and firefox) and Processing Java (latest Processing).
- All programs must be self contained (no loading data from websites, etc).
- No external data files are allowed. Consequently, sprites must be stored as strings or arrays.
- No external libraries may be used besides the Processing API.
- Code may not be copied from the internet. If the code matches some 3rd party code on the internet by 50% or more, judges will consider it plagiarized.
- Judging panel has final say on all matters (rejecting programs that act as viruses, for example).
- Submissions must be emailed to email@example.com
- The email should contain:
- The subject should be “SUBMISSION 2017 April KTBYTE 1k Contest: [username] [optional second username]
- Your project name. The project screenshot and description should already be uploaded
- For each contestant, email text must contain: Applicant Name, Address, City, State, Zipcode, Parent Name, Parent Email, Parent Phone Number, School Name, School Address, A proof of school enrollment such as a recent report card or other verifiable school document. Students working in teams are not required to be enrolled in the same school.
Judges will consider four measures when ranking projects:
- The popularity of the submission according to votes (voting will begin after the submission deadline)
- The technical complexity of the submission
- The subjective appeal of the submission (including performance in the browser / other devices)
- The uniqueness of the submission